from Lesley Tennessen, dutchovendiva
A unique crust made with saltine crackers, melted butter, and light corn syrup sets this pie apart from the competition. We use both lemon zest and juice in the custard filling for a bright pop of citrus flavor.
(1 10 inch dutch oven, 350 degree oven so, 1 ring plus 3 on lid, and loose ring under oven)
- 6 ounces saltines (53 or about 1 1/2 sleeves)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest plus 1/2 cup juice (3 lemons)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Crust:
- Make enough coals for a 350 degrees, approximately 20.
- Combine saltines and salt in food processor and pulse to coarse crumbs, about 15 pulses. or crush up by hand. Add melted butter and corn syrup and pulse until crumbs are broken down into oatmeal-size pieces, about 15 pulses or stir till all combined.
- Transfer saltine mixture to a parchment lined oven. Use 2 ‘straps’ of parchment to make an X. Cut a disk of parchment to place over the X. Using bottom of dry measuring cup, press crumbs into even layer on bottom and sides of plate, using your hand to keep crumbs pretty much even along the top edge of the crust. bake until light golden brown and fragrant, 10-12 minutes.
For the Filling:
- Whisk condensed milk, egg yolks, cream, lemon zest, and salt in bowl until fully combined. Whisk in lemon juice until fully incorporated.
- With oven still on heat, pour filling into crust (crust needn’t be cool). Bake pie until edges are beginning to set but center still jiggles when shaken, 15 to 17 minutes. remove from heat, take the lid off and let cool completely. Refrigerate pie until fully chilled, about 4 hours.
For the Topping:
- Using stand mixer fitted with whisk, whip cream, sugar, and vanilla on medium-low speed until foamy, about 1 minute.
- Increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form, 1 to 3 minutes. Spread whipped cream over top of pie. Serve.