- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups water
- 6 lemons
- Combine in saucepan 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, rind of 2 lemons, cut into pieces
- Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil about 7 minutes. Cool.
- Add 1 cup lemon juice (5-6 lemons) 4 cups ice water.
- Pour over ice in pitcher or tall glasses.
(Recipe from Betty Crocker’s Picture Cookbook, 1950)
Spicy Strawberry-Jalapeño Lemonade
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and split into quarters lengthwise
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 4 pieces
- ¾ cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup fresh juice from 5-6 lemons
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 quart ice
- Combine strawberries, jalapeño slices, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl and toss to coat. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard jalapeño slices. Set aside 1 cup of macerated strawberries for garnish.
- Transfer remaining strawberries and any exuded juices and syrup into a blender.
- Add lemon juice. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher. Discard solids. Add reserved strawberries and cold water and whisk to combine.
- Add ice. Serve in ice-filled glasses garnished with a strawberry and a jalapeño slice.
(Recipe from www.seriouseats.com)